Senate Democratic leaders to Obama: Bypass Congress if required to forestall …
Make certain to pointer adult to receive “Afternoon Fix” every day in your e-mail inbox by 5(ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX:
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
* The 4 highest-ranking Senate Democrats speedy President Obama to bypass Congress to forestall a republic from delinquent on its spending obligations if lawmakers don’t act to lift a debt roof subsequent month. Republicans wish spending cuts in sell for any arise in a limit, though Obama has pronounced he will not negotiate. Among a options that have been floated: Allowing a Treasury Department to packet a trillion-dollar gold china to use to compensate off debts, something a White House has not ruled out when asked about it. Meanwhile, a National Republican Senatorial Committee is attacking Democratic senators over a probability that Obama will bypass Congress by producing a trillion-dollar coin.
* Obama announced that U.S. infantry in Afghanistan will assume a “support role” beginning in a spring, focusing on an advisory and training goal forward of a withdrawal of many U.S. army by a finish of 2014.
* Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) had a good day in his office of winning a special election to succeed Sen. John Kerry (D) in a special election. The DSCC-backed Markey landed a publicity of a League of Conservation Voters, while state Sen. Ben Downing (D) said he would not run. Markey also hired Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s dual tip fundraising aides, Michael Pratt and Colleen Coffey.
* Newark Mayor Cory Booker (D) changed closer to creation his Senate bid official, filing paperwork with a Federal Election Commission this week. Meanwhile, a tip help to Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D) — who hasn’t nonetheless announced either he is using for reelection — anonymously ripped Booker as “self-absorbed and disrespectful.”
* Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) said former Missouri Republican congressman Todd Akin was “partly right” in his argumentative remarks about “legitimate rape” final year. “He’s partly right on that,” Gingrey, an OB-GYN, told voters Thursday. A dire eventuality could means a lady not to ovulate, he said. Gingrey pronounced Akin was wrong in suggesting that a pregnancy could never or roughly never outcome from rape. In a Friday statement, Gingrey said: “I do not defend, nor do we mount by, a remarks done by Rep. Akin and Mr. Mourdock. In my try to yield context as to what we reputed they meant, my position was misconstrued.”
WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T MISS:
* Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott (R) has reportedly told donors he will run for administrator in 2014, a preference that could put him on a collision course with Gov. Rick Perry (R), who hasn’t ruled out pursuing another term. Texas has no gubernatorial tenure limit.
* Alderman Sandi Jackson, mother of former Democratic congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., has resigned from a Chicago City Council. ”After most care and while traffic with really unpleasant family health matters, we have met with my family and dynamic that a voters of a 7th Ward, as good as we Mr. Mayor, and my colleagues in a City Council merit a partner who can dedicate all of their energies to a business of a people,”Jackson wrote in a minute to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Former congressman Jackson resigned late final year amid mental health issues and a federal probe of his political dealings.
* House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) will keynote this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference.
* Drawing on a somewhat unfortunate cliche, Vice President Biden told reporters “there is no china bullet” to understanding with gun violence. Biden done a acknowledgement before a assembly with video diversion attention executives.
* NBC News “Meet The Press” horde David Gregory will not face rapist charges for waving what he claimed was a high-capacity ammunition gun shave on inhabitant radio final month during an talk with National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierrre.
* The pro-abortion rights group EMILY’s List endorsed New York City mayoral claimant Christine Quinn (D).
THE FIX MIX:
Just like they drew it up.
With Aaron Blake